May 13, 2015

Gardening 101

I have huge memories of planting a garden every year with my Mom as a child.
At the time it seemed like miles and miles of garden… but I suppose it wasn't quite that large.
I'm told as a baby my brother and I would crawl behind her in our garden jammies, in search of dirt, rocks, and worms.
Mmmmm, yummy!

I am committed to sharing many of these same traditions with my own littles.
Planting a garden together is one of those traditions.
It is just something I need to do, I want to.

It is absolutely imperative that my children know where food actually comes from.
Where it starts, how it grows, and how much WORK is involved in maintaining food for our bellies and harvesting the 'fruits of our labor'.
Food does NOT come from Safeway or Costco or in a package from Walmart.
I don't care who you are, if you are a Vegan, Vegetarian, or eat anything put in front of you.
FOOD COMES FROM FARMS.
FOOD COMES FROM FARMERS!!!

While our city garden may only be a portion of what I was used to as a child, the concepts are the same.  We plan, we dig, we get filthy, we water, we enjoy and WE APPRECIATE!
This year it was really obvious that our oldest "get's it".  He understands we grow food.

He had better.  They both better, they are Grandbabies to FARMERS!

A few images from our gardening adventures in our back yard.



1 comment:

  1. You've got some cute little helpers there!!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts... I love to hear from you and appreciate your feedback!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...